News and Events
10 Central Oregon Hiking Spots and Where to Get Your Supplies
One of the best parts about living in Central Oregon is the outdoor scene. People come from all over to enjoy outdoor activities—snowboarding, skiing, and snowshoeing in the winter, as well as hiking, biking, and fishing in the summer. Luckily, Bend residents get access to Central Oregon hiking trails year-round. So when you’re ready to get outside this spring, you can stock up on supplies at CVSC and then head out to one of these beautiful hiking spots.
Stock Up on Hiking Gear at Cascade Village Shopping Center
Before you head outside, it’s important to make sure you have the right gear to support your hike. If you’re going on a short hike, you can probably get away with some basic tennis shoes or trainers, comfortable clothing, and a water bottle to stay hydrated.
However, when you start more challenging hikes, it can be helpful to have a pair of hiking shoes and some exercise clothes designed to keep you comfortable. This will help you avoid issues like overheating, sun exposure, or chafing. You may also want to bring a hiking backpack with extra water, like a camelback, if you’re hiking all day.
At CVSC, we have a variety of stores that carry hiking gear. Dick’s Sporting Goods is a great place to find hiking gear like boots, backpacks, and workout wear. You can also find hiking shoes or tennis shoes at Famous Footwear. And if you plan on taking your furry friend with you, PetSmart has essentials like leashes, treats, and collapsible water dishes for rehydrating your pup on the go.
Central Oregon Hiking Spots for Every Hiking Level
Whether you’re a beginner hiker looking for a short trail or an experienced hiker preparing for a longer hiking trip, Central Oregon has tons of trails to try. Click through to learn more about each hiking trail, including seasonal closures, pet policies, permit requirements, and directions.
- Pilot Butte State Park: a quick 2-mile loop up Pilot Butte, just east of downtown Bend.
- Shevlin Park – Canyon Rim Loop: this is a beautiful spot with many short trails along Tumalo Creek.
- Ray Atkeson Loop Hike: this easy 2.6-mile hike offers beautiful views beloved by photographer Ray Atkeson in his time.
- Lava River Cave: at 2.2 miles, this easy hike lets you explore a mile-long lava tube Between Bend and La Pine.
- Mt Bachelor Summit Hike: 6 miles round trip; this hike is a great way to enjoy the mountain in the warmer months.
- Black Butte Hike: even at 2 miles, this hike is still a bit of a challenge, as it’s an uphill climb to the top of Black Butte.
- Tumalo Creek Trail: explore the sights at Tumalo Falls with this moderate 6.5-mile hike.
- Summit Loop at Smith Rock: this 7.3-mile hike gives you a full tour of Smith Rock, switchbacks included!
- Deschutes River Hike: 22 miles round trip, the whole Deschutes river hike breaks down into many short and medium-length hikes.
- Obsidian Trail: at 11.5 miles, this strenuous hike requires a permit but offers fantastic views of the Three Sisters wilderness.
Enjoy the Outdoors with the Help of CVSC
At Cascade Village Shopping Center, we’re here to help Central Oregon residents and visitors make the most of the scenery with supplies for all your outdoor needs. And when you’ve finished your hike, make sure to stop by and enjoy one of our many dining options.
Check out our blog for more tips about Central Oregon living.