Memorial Day Recipes Using Trader Joe’s Top Products
Memorial Day weekend is coming up once again! To us, the holiday weekend will always be, first and foremost, a time for reflection. But it’s also a time for change—where we let go of spring days and embrace summer. Oh, and we can’t forget a time for gathering with delicious Memorial Day recipes that taste like sunnier days ahead.
These Memorial Day Recipes Are Party Hits
Now that we’re slowly slipping back into party mode, we know this summer will be chock-full of the moments we missed over the last two years. Whether you’re hosting or attending a Memorial Day weekend BBQ this year, these Memorial Day recipes will delight the whole crowd.
The Side Stars: Potato Salad & Elote
Side dishes are go-to wonders. They’re easy to whip up, perfectly portioned, and the perfect pre-meal meals. These two are our favorites:
Green Goddess Potato Salad
Not your mom’s potato salad.
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz snap peas
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 T Green Goddess dressing (add more to taste)
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water until 1 inch above potatoes. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add snap peas to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Drain then thinly slice. Add snap peas, chopped celery, and boiled potatoes (cut in half) to a large bowl.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, add the mayo and dressing and mix until combined. You may need more dressing to fully cover the potato mixture. Cover and chill for at least an hour. Top with parsley and serve.
Zesty Mexican corn.
- 8 ears yellow corn
- ¾ cup mayonnaise (sub: plain greek yogurt)
- 2 tsp Everything But the Elote blend
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Limes to taste
- Grill the corn on medium-high heat until slightly charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- Brush the corn with the mayonnaise and sprinkle on the cheese, spices, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for an extra zing.
The Entree: Meat or Veg Kebabs
Kebabs are the ultimate in Memorial Day recipes, perfect for mixing things up and finding a little something for everyone.
Flavorful and customizable.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cubed (sub: 1 lb beef sirloin, cubed)
- ¼ cup butter
- One lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2-3 zucchini, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Salt, pepper, and Ajika seasoning to taste
- Combine butter, lemon juice, and garlic in a bowl. Add in cubed chicken or beef and let marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat grill to high. If using wooden skewers, soak them in a bowl of water.
- Chop veggies into cubes and toss with olive oil and seasoning. Alternate veggies and meat onto skewers.
- Cook skewers on the grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the meat reaches the desired temperature and veggies have a nice char.
Refreshing and delicious bites.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1 inch slices
- ½ lb button mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, cut into chunks
- ½ lb cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- Salt, pepper, and Umami Seasoning to taste
- Preheat grill to medium and lightly oil the grate. If using wooden skewers, soak them in a bowl of water.
- Alternate the veggies onto the skewers.
- Mix olive oil and herbs in a small bowl and brush over veggie skewers.
- Cook on the grill for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally, or until tender. Add more of the oil mixture as necessary.
The Sweet Treat: Trifle
Unlike the infamous trifle from Friends, this one doesn’t contain a ground beef layer. It’s all light, refreshing sweetness, which makes it a perfect Memorial Day recipe.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or less to taste)
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box Glazed Sour Cream Donuts or 4 packages Madeleine Cookies, cubed
- 12 oz fresh blueberries
- 12 oz fresh raspberries
- 1 ½ qt fresh strawberries, sliced
- With a handheld or standup mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar and beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and reduce speed to medium while slowly adding in heavy cream and vanilla. Switch to whisk attachment and whip at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- In a large trifle dish (or bowl), place a single layer of donut or madeleine pieces. Top with two-thirds blueberries and raspberries, half of the whipped cream mixture, and two-thirds strawberries. Repeat once more and top with the remaining berries.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Find All The Ingredients For Your Memorial Day Recipes at the CVSC
With Trader Joe’s located in the CVSC, finding all of these ingredients is a breeze! However you spend your long weekend, we hope you try one (or all) of these Memorial Day recipes.